Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I don't glisten, I sweat: navigating heat and clericals.

this is me, in Waco.
Dealing with the blazing hot heat of Texas is, without question, the hardest thing for me to navigate when I think about wearing clericals.  I've found ways to make clericals cute, but I have not found a way to make clericals heat resistant!

At what point can we wear our collars with a tank top, like a choker?  Never?  Well, in that case my suggestions are all gone.

Now, a quick story, so that we can all share in a laugh at me...

So, recently I went to Waco to interview for a job, and knowing that Waco is BLAZING HOT I went to Target and bought a cute tank top that could be altered into a clerical.  (It has ruffles!)  I was thrilled.  Problem #1: The stupid thing was see through.  It kind of kills the whole "not so hot" remedy when you have to put it over another shirt.  Problem #2: In a freak cold snap, Waco was rainy and cold and I spent most of the day shivering and dashing between buildings in the rain.

God laughs at me, I just know it.  Consider my fashion for that day THWARTED.

I'm realizing that I'm headed into a parish that really values clergy in a collar, more so than some, so I'm preparing for the BLAZING HOT summer.  So, that begs the question:

How are you beautiful ladies who are priesting in the hottest parts of the U.S. wearing clericals on a day to day basis without spontaneous combustion?

The closest I can get is to use my thoughts on boho chic priest.  That, or... wait for it...

THE JANIE.




Now, don't be fooled: you have to wear a shirt over this.  (Otherwise, I wouldn't be posting a blog about needing a clerical for the heat!)  The problem with the Janie is that I see it looking bad more than I see it looking good.  Of course, there are many different types.  This one, with the hook in the back, is probably the most flattering one.

So, you ladies with the Janies (I first sang this like Beyonce, "ALL THE JANIE LADIES")--the questions are:

  1. What's the best brand?
  2. What should you wear it with?  What works and what doesn't?
  3. Is it actually any cooler than just wearing a regular clerical?


If you have pictures of you rocking a Janie that you'd like to share, please do, with some comments about why you love it.  Also, if you want to answer the questions and have it featured on the blog, I'd love to do a follow up.  Send these responses to erinjeanwarde@gmail.com!

I know the simple answer to dealing with the heat is to "get over it," but one of the main ideas behind this blog is to recognize that confidence goes a long way.  If I walk into work sweating profusely and feeling like the frumpiest woman alive, I'm already off my game.

Plus, I double checked and it says "rend your hearts, NOT your garments," which was a devastating realization for me about the text.

5 comments:

  1. I have a Janie, but I honestly wear the sleeveless clericals + lightweight/ 3/4 sleeve cardigan in warmer weather more than I wear the Janie. For me, the Janie (I think the same one you posted from WomenSpirit) actually works better with heavier, v-neck sweaters or a few dresses that I own.
    I haven't been that miserable in my clericals in the warmer weather yet, maybe because everything is so freaking air-conditioned?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I prefer to wear: http://www.almy.com/Product/31006/category/ClergyBlouses/parent/ClergyApparel-Woman
    I've found it's very lightweight for warmer weather and machine-washable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a Janie, but found that it was uncomfortable, slipped around, and because it zipped in the back, it was difficult to get the collar stud through the collar. So ... I made my own. I took a clergy shirt that was comfortable but worn-looking, cut off the sleeves, and cut it off just under my bra. Hemmed all. I wear it under my LLBean black pima t-shirts ... much cooler than a regular clergy shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving your blog! I'm about to be ordained and have been wrestling with clerical s or not. I like to look a bit edgy and nice but I've also been a lay preacher for past eight years so my collegues advice is to do clerical s to define my new role as an ordained minister, I'm totally loving your dress ideas, more please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I noticed that this blog is not currently active, but I wish it was. I am a Sister in the Anglican Order of Preachers, AKA, Dominicans. We are allowed to wear the Deacon collar as part of our informal habit. So far I have not done that because of the expense. However I see that you have been very creative with altering clothing. It would be great to exchange ideas in this regard and your work in the church as an activist. I hope that you consider reactivating the blog.

    ReplyDelete